insight on sports & everyday life

Feb 17, 2010

Bud Selig and MLB did something right?

As much as I bang on Bud Selig and MLB, I have to give credit where credit is due:

The LA Dodgers were trying, and mandating that their players donate to the club's charity (as part of the player's contract). Actually, 109 players on 20 different teams have been mandated to give to charities. You may think, well, they are rich, this is a good thing. Well, that isn't the principle. The clubs are forcing what money goes to what charity.

Businesses shouldn't declare which charities your money goes to. Certain charities touch each of us differently and we all feel compelled to give to ones that mean something to us. You can't force me where I have to give my charitable dollar. My workplace cannot all of a sudden tell me I HAVE to start donating to PETA out of my salary. You can't tell me where to eat or where to spend my discretionary dollar. It's just not fair.

Once you "require" me to do something it becomes a burden. That actually goes against the SPIRIT of "charity". Charities are GIFTS, the minute it is forced it becomes a tax issue, among other things. Plus, it benefits the employer and not the employee. The employer looks great corporately for "giving" so much money to charity. If the employee wants to, he has to go above and beyond what he has already been forced to give.

MLB is now saying that teams cannot mandate this. So, owners like Mr. McCourt of the Dodgers can no longer force players like Manny Ramirez to give 1 million dollars to the Dodgers charity (which the Dodgers forced Manny to do). So, props to Bud Selig and MLB who have actually made a fair decision that made sense. Contracts are now being reworked and reworded so no player is forced to give money to a certain charity. Now players can decline contracts based on this before signing with a new team. Thanks Bud for actually making a good decision!

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home